Being Transformed into HIS Image

"All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face. And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him." 2 Corinthians 3:18 (MSG)



Saturday, March 9, 2013

I'm back, and I did something incredibly stupid!

I did something stupid nearly a year ago, and Ramon just found out about it. I failed to cancel a contract on time, and it cost us about $1,500. What's worse is that Ramon did remember to ask me about it several times, including the day before the deadline, if I had sent in the fax to cancel. I had been stressed out because of our son's high school graduation and frequent headaches I had been having last spring, so I kept blowing off his reminders and procrastinating. I don't know why. Seems really stupid in retrospect. Finally, I lied and said I had sent the fax, just to get him off my back, and fully intending to actually send it the next day at work. Well, I forgot, and it cost us. I have replaced that money several times over by taking on a full time position at work, and since I'm usually extremely responsible with money, this isn't likely to happen again. Also, I am not at all in the habit of telling lies. I just wanted him to stop talking when I had a headache and was exhausted from work.

Ramon was upset with me for failing to follow up and make sure the company got my fax. I have sort of lead him to believe that it's the company's fault for not accepting my cancellation. Actually, I never sent it in. Do I really need to confess my dishonesty and have him make a big deal about this all over again? Should I be punished for the irresponsibility, disrespect and dishonesty from nearly a year ago? Or, could we consider it temporary insanity, something that isn't likely to come up again, and something that is past the statute of spanking limitations? 

I was trying to be funny with that last line, but, seriously, if I confess this, I'm probably going to get spanked, and I'm totally not in the mood for a spanking. So, do you all think it's necessary? What would you do in my shoes or in my husband's place? Remember that I am usually very honest, dependable, and responsible. This was very out of character for me. It isn't a bad habit that needs breaking. It was momentary stupidity. Should I get a pass on this, since it happened so many months ago, and I really am sorry about it? How would this fly in your home?

4 comments:

  1. Alexandra, what you should do is a question you have to answer for yourself. It was a year ago, over and done...and yet, is it? Will it set you up for believeing that honesty is not THAT necessary in the future? How would you feel if the tables were turned and Ramon was debating whether to lie to you? It comes down to how you want your marriage to work. Good luck! Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. I told him this afternoon. He was actually very understanding. This is the first time I've lied to him. He didn't like it, but he said we all make mistakes, it was a year ago, and he forgives me.

      I was stressing overmuch about this. I am glad that I confessed all to him. I did not like carrying that guilt and fear around. He forgave me and loves me still. :)

      Delete
  2. I'd take the paddling of my life rather hubby's disappointing tone and good old fashion fussing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have said to go ahead and tell him and if it was really out of character of you, he will forgive you, no spankings needed. :)

    ReplyDelete